The PDGA World Championships in Portland, OR was a tremendous event. With over 400 competitors and 6 courses, Portland seemed to have disc golf fever throughout the week as evidenced by over 3,000 spectators on the final day. It came down to the a five-hole sudden death playoff between the #1 ranked golfer in the world, Paul McBeth and #2 ranked Ricky Wysocki. Below is a video of Ricky putting for birdie on the 4th playoff hole to extend the match.
Brewster Ridge is very excited to welcome Ricky Wysocki back to Smugglers’ for the 2014 Green Mountain Championship. Ricky will be one of many top pros to attend. Steve Brinster, currently 7th in the world rankings and co-designer of BRDG’s next course will be in attendance as well. On top of those two we have former World Champ Avery Jenkins, European Champ and the #8 ranked player in the world Simon Lizotte, former US Champ and #5 ranked player in the world Will Schusterick, and former US Champ and #9 ranked player in the world Nikko Locastro.
At Brewster Ridge, we hope to continue to grow our own events in order to someday get to the same level of competition and excitement as the 2014 World Championships. The Green Mountain Championship presented by Prodigy Disc is on our horizon now as we are in the final month before the event. With over 120 players registered for the event we should have a great turnout and competition here are Smugglers’ Notch Resort.
Don’t forget, we have Mountain Bike clinics and group rides going for the event as well along with live music and craft beer. We hope to have many Vermonter’s join us at Smugglers’ for the weekend of the event, September 19th-21st.
Some other parts of the event to look forward to:
- Jeffersonville Village Fair Sponsored by the Cambridge Artists & Entrepreneurs – Thursday, 9/18 – 4:30-8:30pm
- Free play on our Downtown Disc Golf Course from 4:30pm-7:00pm
- Free Pro Clinics at 4:30-5:00pm, 5:00-5:30pm, and 5:30-6:00pm
- Discmania’s Deep in the Game Clinic – Pre-registration required
- Fiddlehead’s Can Release Party – Friday, 9/19 – 7:00-10:00pm
- Located on the Smugglers’ Village Green
- Debut of Hyzer Flip Double IPA – A beer brewed for the GMC and Smugglers’ Notch Resort
- Music from the Woedoggies from 7:oo-10:00pm
- Smugglers’ Fall Fest – Saturday, 9/20 – 2:00pm-10:00pm
- Located on the Smugglers’ Village Green, $5 entry fee
- Beer & Cider Garden Featuring Fiddlehead Brewing, Citizen Cider, & Lost Nation Brewing
- Music from Dale & Darcy, Citizen Bare, Conscious Roots, & more from 2:00pm-10:00pm
- Vendor Market with food, art, samples and more!
And of course, tournament disc golf will be going on starting Friday and running through Sunday. A spectator guide will be released soon for those hoping to catch some of the best disc golfers in the world!