Many families who visit Smugglers’ Notch Resort on vacation applaud the resort’s environmental efforts focused on animal habitat protection, trash and energy use reduction, and water conservation. Environmental stewardship is important to these visitors, who often pursue similar efforts in their homes.
And what about vacation time? No problem. Whether your family already has good green habits or is eager to make green your new routine, you’ll find that practicing environmental responsibility on vacation is easier than you’d think. Take a look at the following tips shared by Smugglers’ environmental team:
Preparing for your vacation
- Bring along refillable water bottles for each family member.
- If you’ll be shopping at your destination, pack a reusable shopping bag.
- If driving, plan your route to choose the most gas-efficient route. Many states have travel information websites that outline road closures and construction. Checking out these sites will help you reduce gas-guzzling backtracking or idling. Consider traveling the old state routes that parallel the interstate. These routes can be more scenic, and the lower speed limits may help you use less fuel.
- Typically trash and recycling containers are clearly identified, but if in doubt, check in with your vacation destination’s staff.
- If you picnic, be sure to pack out trash and recycling for proper disposal and use compostable, or better yet, reusable utensils and dishes.
- Hang up pool and bath towels; dryers consume a lot of electricity.
- Before choosing take-out dining, check to see if the take-out containers are recyclable or compostable.
- Don’t toss books and magazines. Recycle or “gift” these items to your vacation destination for other guests to enjoy.
- Enjoy some green fun outdoors. Look for nature hikes or other activities that educate about the environment.
- Make it fun – this is your vacation, after all! Have a friendly competition to see who can come up with more green tips.
You’ll leave a positive footprint at your destination, and your vacation memories will be extra special … and evergreen!