I ran into Ski Instructor Justin Falkenburg at the summit of Sterling this morning. He asked me if we are really supposed to get a snowstorm with a good bit of accumulation. I told him that there is a winter weather advisory starting tonight until Friday morning with up to 14 inches of snowfall total. He told me of course there is because I just took the plow off of my truck. I then thanked him for his sacrifice.
All 8 lifts will be open from 9:00 am till 5:00 pm this Saturday, March 20. This change will occur this Saturday only. The weather is going to be a little cool first thing on Saturday morning, but the temperature is going to rise quickly. This way you can sleep in a bit and still get to enjoy some great skiing and riding till 5:00 pm! Please tell your friends.
Today we had winter conditions at the higher elevations and spring conditions down low with some fog in between. We received a dusting of new snow on the upper mountains. I skied Upper FIS this morning. It was groomed last night and with the new snow on top made for some nice turns. Colder temperatures for tonight and tomorrow. The weekend is looking fantastic with sunny skies, temperatures reaching into the 40’s on Saturday and 50’s on Sunday.
Tomorrow we plan to have top to bottom skiing and riding on all 3 mountains with 5 lifts operating, including the Madonna I Lift. We have 48 trails open with terrain for all ability levels. Surface conditions are variable and machine groomed with base depths of 14 to 48 inches. 35 trails will be groomed, including Upper FIS, Drifter, Smugglers’ Alley, Ruthie’s, and Thomke’s for a grand total of 135 acres of freshly groomed terrain. Black Snake will be closed from the meadows down tomorrow for a GS race. Snake Bite, Jolly Rodger, and Full Nelson will also be closed during the race. The race should be finished sometime around noon. Currently, it is cloudy and 28 degrees at the summit of Sterling. Tomorrow’s forecast is calling for mostly sunny skies with a high of 29 degrees.
We presently have 5 lifts operating, Sterling, Morse Highlands, Village, Mogul Mouse’s Magic, and Sir Henry’s Wonder Carpet. We plan to open the Madonna II lift at 1:30 pm this afternoon due to grooming. The Madonna I lift is presently on hold. Ski Patrol is presently checking trail conditions on Madonna and this report will be updated as soon as possible. We plan to have around 35 trails open with terrain for all ability levels. Surface conditions are machine groomed and variable with average base depths of 14 to 52 inches. Currently it is cloudy and 18 degrees at the summit of Sterling with winds of 5 to 10 mph. Today’s forecast is calling for mostly cloudy skies with a high of 34 degrees.