This Summer, Smugglers’ Notch Resort has partnered with Ironwood Adventure Works to bring you the ultimate weekend of Vermont mountain trail racing! We are offering two unique races in our beautiful mountain playground complete with resort festivities to celebrate your efforts in style!
Smugglers' Mountain Race
Smugglers' Mountain Race is a weekend of stout mountain runs at their finest.
More Event Information
These are extremely challenging sky-run style mountain races located on the rugged slopes and trails of Smugglers' Notch Resort, in the Mount Mansfield State Forest!
Saturday, August 11 — Madonna Mountain Vertical Challenge
Sunday, August 12 — Mountain 25k Trail Run
Both races climb to the highest point of land; Madonna Mountain, on the north side of Smugglers' Notch via steep, unforgiving terrain. Loose rock, mud, slippery slopes, and long unrelenting climbs with spectacular views should be expected. Two days of races and two days of fun!
Smugglers' Notch Resort is one of the best family resort destinations you will find! In addition to incredible mountain trails, Smuggs offers infinite family fun! While you run, your family will be enjoying a weekend of water parks, zip lining, disc golf, and more!
SATURDAY: Madonna Vertical Challenge
• 10:00 am Check In, 12:00 noon start
• The first race, on August 11, is the Madonna Vertical Challenge. This challenge takes participants from the lowest point of the Smuggs Village, to the highest point of Madonna Mountain! This timed race is similar to a Sky Run and is open to all interested! Whether you are a competitor with aspirations of victory, or a hiker that wants to join the fun, the Madonna Vertical Challenge will be a memorable ascent, and the first race of its kind at Smugglers’!
• Vertical Challenge Event Cost: $45 before July 1, $60 until race day.
SATURDAY NIGHT: Racer’s party
• Join us on the Smugglers’ Village Green for the Madonna Vertical Challenge Awards. There will be food, craft beer, and live music!
SUNDAY: The 1st Annual Smuggs Mountain Race
• 7:00am Check In, 9:00am Start
• This is a 25K trail running race that will take you to every corner of Smugglers’ and our beautiful mountains! Competitors will encounter rugged mountain routes, long cross country trail runs, and even loops through meadows and around our picturesque Bootleggers' Basin! This race is both an unrelenting challenge as well as a gorgeous tour of the Smugglers’ mountains, forests, fields, and trails! Perfect for anyone who loves to trail run or for endurance athletes looking for a competitive challenge!
• Smuggs Mountain 25k Race Event Cost: $75 before July 1, $90 until race day.
Both races: $100 for early registration. Register Online
Special Lodging Packages
Call for special room rates for race participants.