I got the chance to hang out with our amazing snowmaking team while they took a few minutes to celebrate their hard work before the snow rolls in tonight. Hopefully, Mother Nature takes over and gives these guys a little break.
As of now, the National Weather Service is predicting that we’ll get some decent snowfall on the mountain beginning tonight and continuing through Saturday. Fingers crossed they’re right!
Stay up to date with all mountain conditions including uphill access, lift status, and other pertinent operational information with our Snow Report.
Rockin’ Ron here. You’ve probably seen and heard that there’s a major winter storm moving across the country. A lot of folks may not want the snow, but we snow sports enthusiasts welcome it… in other words… BRING IT ON! That doesn’t mean that our snowmakers are taking it easy – they’ll have the snow guns going whenever temps permit. Let there be SNOW and MORE SNOW!
Tonight’s forecast is calling for temperatures to fall through the night. At around 3 am it falls below freezing. The forecasted rain then turns to sleet, becoming snow with 1 to 2 inches of accumulation possible. The temperature is going to fall 30 degrees between 1 am and 7 am. The existing snow will be pretty wet as the new snow falls on top. The new snow will insulate the wet snow as the temperature is falling rapidly. This will protect the wet snow from a flash freeze. Grooming wet snow is like stirring a cake mix. The stirring action brings the moisture to the top. If we groom tonight and tomorrow morning it will bring the moisture from the wet snow to the surface and it will flash freeze. If we leave it alone we believe that would provide the best skiing and riding experience on Friday.
Tomorrow we plan to have top to bottom skiing and riding on all 3 mountains with 6 lifts operating, including the Madonna I Lift. We plan to have 34 trails open with terrain for all ability levels. Surface conditions are variable and loose granular with average base depths of 14 to 46 inches. Currently, it is cloudy and 40 degrees at the summit of Sterling with winds of 15 to 30 mph. Tomorrow’s forecast is calling for snow showers an inch of accumulation possible with a high of 13 degrees at the base and 7 degrees at the top. Temperatures will be falling throughout the day.
All 3 mountains are presently closed to uphill traffic. Stay tuned for updates.
Rockin’ Ron for Hugh. Our Snowmakers have been taking advantage of the cold temps and making the fluffy stuff on Practice Slope and Black Snake. Pretty soon it’ll be Tea Time at the T-Bar. For Wednesday we plan to have 23 trails open and 4 Lifts operating. Enjoy the snow on the slopes!
Rockin’ Ron for Hugh. SNOW! Close to half a foot of the fluffy stuff in the past 24 and it’s still dumping!! I liken the skiing/riding experience to Marshmallow, Cream Cheese, Dream Cloud Flotation and I’m not hungry or on drugs.
Rockin’ Ron for Hugh. The forecast for the next two days is snowy and windy – we could get 8 -17 inches of SNOW! Here’s how it breaks down: TODAY 3-7, TONIGHT 2-4, WEDNESDAY 2-4, and WEDNESDAY NIGHT 1-2. This is in addition to the 2 inches we received overnight and the snowmaking on Morse Highlands. Let it SNOW!!
Tuesday Snow showers likely, mainly after 2 pm. Cloudy, with a high near 27. The chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Tuesday Night A 50 percent chance of snow showers before 1 am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Currently, it is cloudy and 28 degrees at the summit of Sterling with winds of 5 to 10 mph. Tomorrow we plan to have Sterling Lift, Sir Henry’s Glider, and Mogul Mouse’s Magic Lift open to mid-station. We have 5 intermediate trails, 4 beginner trails, and 1 expert trail open at this time. All 10 trails will be groomed for tomorrow. Surface conditions are machine groomed and variable with average base depths of 18 to 40 inches. Colder temperatures are in the forecast for Tuesday night and we plan to resume snowmaking at that time.
Tonight: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 23 by 5 am. The chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Sunday: Snow showers. Areas of blowing snow after 8 am. Temperature rising to near 25 by 10 am, then falling to around 13 during the remainder of the day. The chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Today we have top to bottom skiing and riding on all 3 mountains with 7 lifts operating, including the Madonna I Lift. We now have 44 trails open with terrain for all ability levels. Surface conditions are packed powder and powder with average base depths of 12 to 50 inches. 28 trails have been groomed for today for a grand total of 118 acres of freshly groomed terrain. We are presently making snow on Practice Slope, McPherson’s, Playground, and Upper FIS from Goat Path down to Times Square. Currently it is partly sunny and 0 degrees at the summit of Sterling with winds of 0 to 5 mph.